The SAFFA Youth structure is solid and still growing. The Youth are mentored and coached by Senior and sometimes former Youth Protea anglers in each of the Provinces. They participate in Provincial trials for team selections which are entered annually in a team format to participate in the Youth National Event.
It is through this structure that our Youth Protea team is selected each year to experience and represent South Africa at the World Championship. A second team is selected to travel internationally for a development tour - this takes our Youth from strength to strength!
2023 Youth Nationals
The 2023 Youth Nationals, hosted by Cape Winelands Province, took place on the Vaal and Orange Rivers near Douglas in the Northern Cape . The target species was our indigenous large and smallmouth yellowfish. The championship comprised of five exciting scrum sessions, each offering some varied and challenging fishing conditions, and producing some incredible fish in both size and numbers over the three days. Championship results were as follows:
- Wildfly Individual Champion - Luke Fairhead (Limpopo A)
- Wildfly Team Champion - Limpopo A Province
- AT Barnard Team Champion - Limpopo A Province
- Wickus Steyn Trophy for Sportmanship - Benjamin Blaauw (CW)
- Willem Pretorius Trophy For Fly Fishing Excellence - Daniel Duane (2023 Youth Protea)
- Develo Fly Tying Trophy - Benjamin Blaauw
- Best Newcomer - Rohann Jacobs (GN B)
- Distance Casting - Luke Fairhead : Accuracy Casting -Gary Orwtram(Lim A)
- Team Gold - Limpopo A Individual Gold - Luke Fairhead(Lim A)
- Team Silver - KZN A Indvidual Silver - Speedy Walters(KZN A)
- Team Bronze - Central Gauteng Individual Bronze - Liam O'Flaherty(CG)
Visit our facebook page for full results & pictures captured during the event.
Youth Protea Team 2023
The 2023 Fips-Mouche Youth World Championship was held in Mostar, Bosnia Herzegovina during July. South Africa was represented by a fresh team of first-time anglers at World level and they did us proud in the field of eleven international teams, mostly from the European nations.
The Team representing was as follows: Luke Fairhead, Liam Luc Swart, Daniel Duane, Benjamin Blaauw, Liam O'Flaherty and Campbell McLean. Matt Gorlei took up the reigns for a second consecutive year as Coach/non fishing Captain and Daniel J Le Roux was appointed as Manager for this dynamic Protea Youth Team.
Not only was the battle on the water during this championship but the anglers were up against the extreme temperatures of the heatwave that the European countries experienced in that week. After a difficult start on day one and the team finding themselves near the bottom positions overall, they focused and pushed hard to finish in a credible 6th position overall. For full final results please follow the facebook link
Thank you to the Sponsors of our Youth Team for their valued support
Youth Development Tour 2023